Property Search
Advanced Search

Tax Breaks


Texas law provides for certain exemptions and deferrals to help reduce the property tax obligations of qualifying property owners.  These tax breaks are administered by the Grayson Central Appraisal District (GCAD). 
You must apply to GCAD for any exemptions for which you qualify.  GCAD will subsequently notify the Grayson County Tax Office of any resulting changes to your tax statement.
Please refer to the website for all applicable forms and any additional information.
Homestead Exemptions
To apply for a Homestead Exemption, you must submit the following to the Grayson Central Appraisal District (GCAD):
  1. A copy of your valid Texas Driver's License showing the homestead address.  This requirement may be waived if you are (a) a resident of a facility that provides services related to health, infirmity or aging or (b) certified for participation in the address confidentiality program administered by the Attorney General.
  2. The license must bear the same address as the property for which the homestead exemption is requested (homestead address) unless you are  (a) active duty military or their spouse, showing proof of military ID and a utility bill; (b) a federal or state judge, their spouse or a peace officer whose address information has been omitted from your driver's license (you must provide a copy of your application for the driver's license.
  3. If you do not have a driver's license, you may submit a copy of a state issued personal ID showing the homestead address along with a completed Homestead Exemption Application showing the homestead address or proof of disability, for those who are applying for an exemption due to disability.
For more information on the Homestead Exemption please contact the Grayson Central Appraisal District at: (903) 893-9673.
Active Duty Military Deferral
A person on active military duty out of this state during a war or national emergency may defer payment of taxes until 60 days after the earliest of the following:
        *  The date of discharge
        *  The date the person returns to Texas for more than 10 days
        *  The date of return to non-active duty status in the reserves
        *  The date the war or national emergency ends
To apply for a Military Request for Waiver of Penalty and Interest download the form at:
Over 65 / Disabled Defferal
If you are a homeowner age 65 or over or disabled, you can stop a judgment or tax sale or defer (postpone) paying delinquent property taxes on your homestead for as long as you own it and live in it.  To postpone your tax payments, you must file a tax deferral affidavit with the Grayson Central Appraisal District (GCAD).  The deferral applies to delinquent property taxes for all the taxing units that tax your home.
You should be aware that a tax deferral only postpones payments, it does not cancel them.  Interest will be added at the rate of 8% annually.  Once you no longer own your home or live in it, all the taxes, pre-deferral penalties and interest, together with the 8% deferral interest become due after 180 days.  If the taxes remain unpaid, regular penalties and interest accrue and the taxing units may proceed with a lawsuit to collect delinquent taxes through a tax sale.
Quarter Payment Plan
If you have an over 65 or disabled exemption or are the surviving spouse of a disabled veteran, you may request to pay your property taxes in 4 equal payments without penalty and interest. You must pay at least one-fourth (25%) of the total amount of current taxes owed. Also, include a written request to pay in installments.  This can be in the form of a letter or notation on your tax statement.
In order to  avoid penalty and interest the request and initial payment must be submitted by January 31st.  Requests will be accepted after January 31st and before March 1st.  However, a 6% penalty and 1% interest will be assessed for the month of February and the next payment will be due by March 31st.
The remaining taxes, after the first installment, may be paid without penalty or interest if submitted as follows:
                * The second installment must be paid by March 31st.
                * The third installment must be paid by May 31st.
                * The fourth installment must be paid by July 31st.
For help regarding the quarter payment plan, call the Grayson County Tax Office at (903) 892-8297.


Every effort has been made to offer the most current and correct information possible on these pages. The information included on these pages has been compiled by County staff from a variety of sources, and is subject to change without notice. The Grayson County Tax Office makes no warranties or representations whatsoever regarding the quality, content, completeness, accuracy or adequacy of such information and data. The Grayson County Tax Office reserves the right to make changes at any time without notice. Original records may differ from the information on these pages. Verification of information on source documents is recommended. By using this application, you assume all risks arising out of or associated with access to these pages, including but not limited to risks of damage to your computer, peripherals, software and data from any virus, software, file or other cause associated with access to this application. The Grayson County Tax Office shall not be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of any cause relating to use of this application, including but not limited to mistakes, omissions, deletions, errors, or defects in any information contained in these pages, or any failure to receive or delay in receiving information.sed or implied.